while the rest of Europe was at war, the Swiss federal
authorities organised hundreds of butter collection
points to ensure that its production and distribution
to the towns was maintained. The collection point for
Fribourg was created on 18th August 1917. It belonged
to the “Fédération laitière
vaudoise-fribourgeoise” and the “Fédération
laitière Zone de la Montagne”.
On 21st May 1927, the two Federations decided to turn
it into a limited company and named it Cremo. Its objective
was to manufacture and market all dairy products and
by-products, with the particular aim of improving the
manufacturing, marketing and quality of the butter
produced from within the federations.